Saturday, October 18, 2008

Celosia vs Cockscomb

I saw this oddly beautiful flower on my way home from work the other day and since we were having some friends over for dinner I went ahead and bought it. I just had to.. I mean, it's just so strange looking and at the same time it's strikingly gorgeous. It has these fuzzy intertwined petals that curve in crazy shapes to make it almost look like a brain or something. They're called Celosias. How could I not bring these home with me? And, I feel special when I have fresh flowers on my table.

The color is so great too, vibrant orange and red, making it perfect for fall. 
Plus, it's FUZZY! So weird.
It's other name is Cockscomb. Yes, as in a rooster. Apparently it was given this name because it resembles the cockscomb on the top of their head. 

What do you think? That weird flap of red skin stuff on a roosters head? Or these beautiful flowers? Frankly, I'd much rather look at the flower. I mean really..  

Although, the cockscomb is sure easier on the eyes that this guy who we saw when we went apple picking last weekend..


His red skin flap just hangs there. Thats sad. 


He knows we're judging him. Don't worry turkey, I'll see you in a few weeks (with a side of stuffing and Chris' sweet potatoes of course ) and then I will definitely show some love. 
But seriously... what IS that weird tuft of hair that protrudes from their chest area?? Does anyone know or is this one of God's great mysteries? Yuck. 

Let's look at something pretty again. Ahh, the pretty Celosia. I refuse to call it cockscomb. Brain flower maybe. But that's where I draw the line. 



1 comment:

Jessica said...

So beautiful! I've always been a little weirded out by those flowers, but you sure have captured their beauty. I love the pic of the turkey looking at the camera. Gobble gobble!