Thursday, October 23, 2008

Girls Night

Monday night was so fun! Remember when I told you about our new friends Domi and Bini and how Bini wanted the 'full American experience?' Well, we continued that Monday night. Here's how it went down..
First, I'd like to mention that I have been discovering more and more how much I enjoy cooking and baking- especially for others. I have even been named 'Martha' by a friend here- and I kind of like it. Now, to be honest- I don't make up my own recipes or anything, I just find good recipes from other sources and follow them, but I still really love doing it. When we decided to have the pumpkin carving at our place I thought it would be fun to make a meal and although it was only Tacos, it was still great to make food and eat together. This is the third time we have people over for dinner in one week and it was great! Also- I think I have mastered the art of making guacamole- thanks to a wonderful Guatemalan woman in my building who is also my very good friend Sharon's mother. (Oh man, I could write a whole blog about her cooking.. yum!) This is the real stuff folks and I am forever grateful to her for teaching me. 
Along with the Tacos, Bini showed me how to make her version of Apple Crisp- (we made my Grandmother's recipe last weekend when she and Dominik came over for dinner) which they call Apple Crumble. MMM.. it was good! It's very similar to Apple Crisp but the topping doesn't have oats in it so it's more like a streusel. Chris said he liked the German version better. Don't worry Grandma, yours is still my favorite :)



While we waited for the Apple Crumble to bake, we carved our pumpkins. Bini and I had our pumpkins from when we went apple picking but Ashley and Sharon got theirs at the grocery store. These were the smallest ones available.. can you believe that? 

This pile of innards next to Bini is mostly all from Ashley's pumpkin. It looks like shredded cheese, but believe me, it's not. 
When I was younger I didn't really like getting my hands dirty so I would try to get out all the slimy stuff out of the pumpkin with a spoon. It doesn't bother me anymore, now I think that's the best part! How about you? Spoon or hands?

Here are our finished jack-o-lanterns. 



It was so fun to have some girl time. Honestly, God has really blessed me over the years with really good friends. It was hard moving away from my friends back home, and at times I ache to see them and talk with them in person. But, God is SO GOOD. He has given me friends here that are so amazing! No one can replace the friends I have known for years and years, my 'lifelong friends,' but no one can replace the friends I have made here either. I believe that they are 'lifelong friends' as well. I cherish them. ALL of them. I am so thankful that God has put these girls in my life and that I can not only hang out with them, talk over coffee and laugh together, but that we can also share with each other our struggles and pray together. It is very cool how God puts people in your life at different times and how He can use these people to show you how much He loves you. Thank you Lord for old friends, and for new! 




8 comments:

SnoWhite said...

love the pumpkins! how fun :)

CrashleyRose said...

I KNEW your pictures would be better than mine! I'm glad you're my friend too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great faces...on the pumkins and on the carvers!
Have you ever made my pumkin bars with the cream cheese or orange rind frosting? Chris would probably like those too!

Jweaver said...

I haven't made the bars.. yet. I probably will with the pumpkin puree I made :)

Jessica said...

I LOVE carving pumpkins. I don't know if we are going to do it this year. No plans to so far....:(
I like that you added the books you are reading. Nice!

Stacey said...

Martha--oh I mean JW...
I love Fall and what FUN FALL pictures you included!! Love the pumpkins lit up!
I am soo a spoon AND hand girl. The guts don't gross me out!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet! Wish I could have been at your girls night... like when we would take walks at Crown or just hang out in the dorms. Good times. :)

~A.F.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there! I miss you all! It looks like you had a great time! I am so jealous.