Sunday, December 21, 2008

Garba



This weekend our church had the annual Indian Garba Christmas celebration. Every year at Christmas time the Indian people in our church hold a celebration. There is a message, good food and some traditional Indian dancing. There are only a few times a year that I wear an Indian dress to church, one is Easter and the other is to the Garba.

The first year I attended the Garba they had a few dances that were choreographed, then they brought in everyone else to join in a more simple dance. Everyone walks around in a circle turning, stepping in and out and clapping at certain steps. Once you catch on it's pretty fun.
I always love seeing all the beautiful, intricate Saris and Punjabis on the women. Most of the Indian people in our church wear them to church on Sundays too, but for special occasions, like Christmas and Easter, they come in their more ornate dresses. It's fun to dress up with them too.

I really feel so blessed to go to a church that is so multi-cultural. I don't know how many different countries are represented by the people in our congregation, but there are people from Africa, India, Norway, the Caribbean, Central America, South America, China and the Philippines. I love worshiping together on Sundays knowing that this is just a glimpse of what Heaven will look like, with all of God's people gathered together singing and praising Him, our Creator.


1 comment:

CrashleyRose said...

what beauties! miss you!