Monday, February 16, 2009

Thingamajig Revealed








Remember this thing? What IS it?? Well, to tell you the truth, I don't actually know what it's formal name is. I suppose you could call it a cookie stamp. Well, I guess it's more like an inverted cookie stamp.







Let me explain.. You see, the bottom of the stamp looks like this:



How cute is that little baby foot?? I'm not sure but it looks like it was made from a dark clay and then the top was painted and glazed. It's belongs to my mom and she has had it forever. She uses it for making cookies for baby showers, which is what I used it for too. You see, my very good friend Sharon is expecting a baby next month and we had her shower last weekend. I knew that I would want to make these cookies for it and a few months ago asked my mom if I could borrow this footprint stamp. She was a little hesitant to send it in the mail and risk it breaking (also, sometimes things vanish in the New York post office) so instead she brought it with to Maryland, incased in bubble-wrap of course, so I could take it home with me. THANKS MOM! 

I made a really easy Almond Cookie dough. Here's the recipe:
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
Cream the butter, sugar and almond extract. Add salt and flour.
Chill the dough. 
Form 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. 
Stamp with cookie stamp and bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 min. 


The results:

This one looks like it's missing it's big toe...oops. 

That's much better. 

So there you have it folks! I know you were waiting in great anticipation to find out just what exactly that thing was and now you know. Oh, and by the way- you don't have to have a cookie stamp to make these delicious almond cookies. You can just use a fork dipped in sugar and press them down like you would a peanut butter cookie. You should try it! For real. 

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Those little cookies are stinkin' adorable!

Stacey said...

Those cookies look so yummy! Seriously I love the stamp. Oohhh.

Anonymous said...

I am flattered that you posted my recipe. Do you remember that we made these cookies at Christmas when you and your sister were small - Baby Jesus's feet.