Friday, May 8, 2009

Come Again?

It has started. The comments from strangers about the size of my belly has already started. 
Personally, I didn't even think I was showing that much. The following situation leaves me to come to the following conclusions.. 
Either I am bigger than I actually perceive myself to be or young hipster guys employed at H&M know nothing about pregnancy or how to speak to a pregnant woman. It could be both, but I am leaning toward the latter. 

As I approached the counter to purchase my items at H&M today in the slightly humid weather I was looking a bit flushed and rubbing my belly. (I like rubbing my belly, pregnant women do this often, plus I was feeling pretty uncomfortable due to the fact that I really had to use the bathroom)


The young guy behind the counter comments to me: "are you due soon?"

Me: "no I have a ways to go, I'm only four months"

Stupid guy: "Oh really? I would have guessed like six months"

Me: (trying to maintain friendliness) "Haha, no.. not quite"

Doesn't know when to quit kid: "Wow, you're big. (chuckle) Fat baby!"

Me: (gathering my things and vowing never to come to this H&M again) courtesy laugh 


Yea... not really something a pregnant woman wants to hear. I was about to tell him this too but I had no time. I needed to find a bathroom ASAP.
Seriously. Add some more mousse to your faux-hawk, go check yourself out in those too-tight-for-men jeans and leave the pregnancy comments to someone who might actually know what they are talking about. 

Is this what I have to look forward to for the next five months? 

2 comments:

Shelly said...

ha ha , too funny

and to answer your question,..yes.

:)

best of luck!

just know that ALL pregnant ladies are beautiful!...no matter what anyone says, nor how the lady feels!

The Beals said...

OMGOSH! I would have reached over the counter and punched that guy in the gut!

I would like to tell you that you won't experience this very often but, unfortunately, I experienced it ALOT and I think it's pretty common. Most Men and even some women have no idea how to talk to someone who's pregnant. I feel your pain. Next time, feel free to punch him. :) (it's your right as a pregnant woman.) hehe

Julie