On Saturday we, along with some friends, loaded up four cars and drove from Brooklyn to Chester, New Jersey. Why would we go to New Jersey you ask??
Apple and Pumpkin picking of course!
Like many of you, this has become a beloved fall tradition. I grew up going apple picking with my family. I was so happy that we could have a group of friends here to go apple and pumpkin picking with too! This year was extra special for two reasons; one: last year we didn't get to go at all, and two: it was Charles' first time!
My good friend Sharon and I had been so excited last year as October was approaching not only because I was about to have a baby but also because we would be able to bring our little ones (her daughter Hailey is six months older than Charles) apple picking! We talked about how cute the pictures would be of them together and how much fun we would have. However, the first and only nice weekend in October was the weekend Charles was born, the rest were all rainy and cold so we never got to go. It was disappointing but to be honest, I was far too busy falling in love with my little boy (and nursing!) to really mind too much.
But THIS year.. was perfect!
The day started off a little overcast and cold. Our first stop was Riamede Farm. This is where we get the apples :)
After filling our bags, talking of all the delicious goodness those apples would be baked into, and sampling the yummy apple cider donuts we got back into our warm cars and drove to our next stop: pumpkin picking at Ort Farms!
By the time we got to Ort Farms the sun had come out and it was much warmer. A hay ride takes us to the pumpkin patch where we select the perfect pumpkin.
I got a pumpkin for making puree and of course Charles got a 'one year old sized' pumpkin for himself.
The girls
The guys:
Not only does Ort Farms have a pumpkin patch but it also has a little farm with chickens, ducks, goats, bunnies, a turkey and a cow. They have pony rides, a covered wagon, food, animals made of hay to climb on and a hay mountain.
We had a really good time. We came home with apples, pumpkins, pumpkin butter, and full stomachs. Oh, did I forget to mention that in the town of Chester there is a DAIRY QUEEN?! After dinner at the diner we of course had to stop at the only DQ on the East Coast. Ok so this is probably an exaggeration, but it's the only one we have seen.
Seriously though, it was a great day. I only wish Apple Picking Day wasn't just once a year.



No comments:
Post a Comment