Charles and I ventured to the park today despite the cool weather. While we were there Charles enjoyed swinging on the swings, climbing the steps on the playground and sliding down the slide. He also put his hand in fresh bird poop. I caught him before he smeared it around too much. Good thing I had my BabyGantics 'The Germinator', and some extra napkins with me.
While we were swinging I saw a bird flying toward us and as I watched it get closer I thought to myself, 'that looks pretty big to be a pigeon'. It swooped right over the top of the swings and about 15 feet behind us and I quickly realized it was no pigeon.. It was a hawk! It made a grand landing showing it's strength and wingspan as if it was trying to pounce on some small animal and then took off again. I couldn't tell if it was carrying anything in it's claws as it flew away. I heard two guys behind me say "oh, wow, did you see that?!" Turns out we had just seen a red tailed hawk and there are at least three living in Prospect Park.
It sure was a sight.. like national geographic or something. I used to follow a local blog about Brooklyn events/sightings and I remember one post someone wrote about seeing a hawk, in another park in the area, attack and kill a small animal. Or maybe it was a pigeon.
You'd be surprised at the wildlife we have here in the City!
2 comments:
Did you have your camera with you?
No, I didn't! I usually have it with me but of course today would be the day I didn't bring it. Although, to be honest it happened so quickly I don't think I would have been able to get a very good shot.
Post a Comment