Thursday, January 13, 2011

No 'DOH' Please

Charles likes the snow if he's looking at it from the door or window or in the arms of either Chris or myself. However, he does not want to sit in it, stand in it, walk in it, or touch it in general. This was expressed to me by Charles very clearly yesterday when we got bundled up and headed to the back yard for his first 'real' time in the snow.


Up until then he had been very excited when seeing snow outside. He was curious at first as to what it was and quickly learned that it was 'doh'. From that point on he would excitedly point to as we walked outside or looked at it from the comfort of our apartment and repeat over and over "doh! doh! doh!" "yes", I would say, " that's sssnow" He would reply "DOH!" 

I thought our first time playing in it would echo that same excitement. 

I was wrong. 








He lifted up his feet when I tried to put him on the ground and when he did plant his feet he planted them. As in he wouldn't take a step. Crying the whole time. He was fine if I held him but otherwise didn't want anything to do with it. When I sat him on the bench in our back yard he was kind of ok. I tried to show him it was fun, rubbing some on his snow pants and putting some in his gloved hand. He stopped crying but still was just not really diggin it.









 Maybe if we go out with his friend Hailey and he sees that she likes likes the snow Charles will give it another chance. Not that he has to like the snow. I don't like it much either. But isn't this the time in a person's life when snow can be fun and magical and adventurous? Kids love the snow! And for a parent, this is the time when we can forget about how much snow causes us to cringe because it makes driving, finding parking, walking and winter life in general that much more difficult. It's dirty and annoying and slushy and slippery. We forget how pretty and sparkly and romantic and whimsical snow can be. This is what I want my Charles to discover. I am excited to have fun in the snow with him. To make snow men, snow angels and igloos and look at the intricate flakes and tell him how God made all of them special and unique. Until then, I will continue to slowly introduce him to this cold fluffy stuff we call doh. ahem.. sssnow.   :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Mom has him properly outfitted for the great adventure and the harsh realities of winter....that is what Grandpa said upon looking at these pictures and laughing after having shoveled another couple inches of fluries today. Hugs,

Jessica said...

he will love it. he has to. more exposure is key.

one request however: please make sure all the snow is gone by March 18. Thanks in advance. ;)