Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Weekend

What a doozy! Our Memorial Day Weekend was packed with a lot of fun, hot & sunny weather, and a little scare. Saturday was my very good friend's Baby 'Sprinkle'. This is her second baby, another girl, and her mom and sisters wanted to throw her just a little shower to get some of the basic necessities. It was so cute! I have had this onesie cookie cutter in my collection just waiting to be used and I was so excited that I could make some cute cookies for her special day.

IMG_3776
IMG_3767 IMG_3771 IMG_3772 IMG_3769

Sunday after church we met our friends in DUMBO for ice cream. DUMBO has the best view of the city from Brooklyn but I thought this view was pretty good too. Best buds!

IMG_3778 IMG_3783
IMG_3779

We left the park with intentions of coming home and turning on the sprinkler because it was so HOT. But once we got home in the shade of the backyard it wasn't too bad. We hung out for a while talking and letting the kiddos play. Then, I made myself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and every thing changed. Hailey wanted some so of course Charles wanted some. At first I said no to him because we hadn't yet given him peanut butter. Then talking with our friends we thought, ok, we'll try it and watch him but he's had so many different foods and been fine, he'd probably be fine with this too. Jokingly, before I gave him a bit I said 'ok Charles, now don't get a rash or let your throat close up'. If only I had known..
He liked it and was fine, we only gave him a little bit. He and Hailey shared half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich so it wasn't a lot. About twenty min later Chris took him in to change his diaper and when he brought him back out I noticed that Charles' voice was hoarse. We thought it was weird and definitely started paying more attention. Sure enough, he started scratching at his neck, but again, he has had a little eczema so we weren't sure it was necessarily a reaction. I brought him in for a bath and he was acting normal but itching a little and still had a hoarse voice. After his bath we were going to keep him up for a bit to watch instead of putting him to bed. He started to wheeze when he breathed and was scratching a lot more so we quickly decided to bring him to the ER. Luckily we live only three blocks from the hospital. Once there, it was getting worse and he was starting to get a little swollen in the face and ears and I asked to be seen right away. They looked at him, listened to his chest and said it sounded like he had fluid on his lungs. He received a steroid shot, epinephrine, and benadryl. It quickly began working and the swelling and rash went down, and his lungs sounded much much better with his oxygen saturation 100 percent. They wanted to keep us there for a few hours for observation to make sure it didn't come back. It did. And worse. They had to give him a second shot of epinephrine which meant that he needed to stay over night and be admitted. Long and the short, the second shot did the trick and after a night in the hospital, a referral to an allergist, and a prescription for an epi-pen, we were able to go home Monday afternoon. No more peanuts for Charles and we will have to have an epi-pen with us just in case.

IMG_0018
IMG_3790
IMG_3789

We are so thankful that God was watching out for Charles and protecting him. He has truly blessed us with a healthy boy and we just pray that He would continue to protect him and keep him healthy as he grows up.

After coming home from the hospital and giving him a bath we went straight outside again to BBQ with our friends and he and Hailey played in the pool.

IMG_3797

2 comments:

The Beals said...

Aw, that's a huge bummer about being in the hospital. Hospitals and kiddo's don't mix well (but neither do Charles and Peanuts). I'm glad everything turned out well and that you were able to find this out sooner than later so you could avoid it down the line.

Jessica said...

So scary!! But so thankful that he is ok. Good parenting Chris and Janet!! Way to be watchful and aware :)