Monday, September 22, 2008

Bittersweet

This morning we had to say goodbye to our pastor and his family. We have known for a few months that they would be leaving us at the end of the summer, God has called them to another church in Baltimore, MD. but moving day has approached much faster that I thought. I can't believe today is the day. How do you say goodbye to people who have become like a second family? They have been here serving at our church since the first time we came on a BUMP missions trip eight years ago. They are one of the main reasons Chris wanted to come out here and serve for a year as a urban missionary with UTOPIA (Urban Target Outreach Program In America), a year that has turned into more than five years and in the meantime we got married, I joined him in Brooklyn, and he is now the Youth Pastor. How do you say goodbye to the man who has taught you so much about how to live your life for Christ, the woman who is such a strong example of a godly wife and mother and has become your friend, or the boys who you have watched grow up from the time they were 6 and 7 to teenagers in your youth group? We are very excited for them and how God is going to use them at this new church because we have seen how God has used them in our lives and in the lives of our church body as well. But at the same time.. it's just so hard to see them go. I know God has a plan for their family, for Chris and me, and for our church. He will take care of us and even though change is hard and scary and sometimes hurts, I am rest assured that we are all in His hands. That is, after all , the best place we can be. Change can also be exciting...once you get past the scary part. I am trying to focus on that- on what the Lord has in store for us, for our church. He has taken them to Baltimore for a reason just like he is keeping us here in Brooklyn for a reason. So, we wont say goodbye after all. Baltimore is not that far away and we have already talked about them coming back for our traditional Thanksgiving Dinner together (I can't wait!). Instead, we will simply say farewell and see you soon.


* * *


On a lighter note... tonight is also the season premier of HEROES! It's our favorite show and I am so happy that it premiers tonight so that I wont be so sad all day. Plus, it's our favorite show. Does anyone else watch this? If you don't I highly recommend it (Mondays, NBC 9/8 central). We were die hard '24' fans (thanks to our good friend Ish) but when HEROES came on they were on the the same day, same time, so we would have to tape one and watch the other. Eventually, we just quit watching 24 because HEROES was just way better. It's our favorite show. Did I mention it's our favorite show? I am even making a special dinner tonight for the occasion: stuffed porkchops (with cornbread stuffing), steamed asparagus, new potatos, and rhubarb crisp for dessert. Yum.

No comments: