Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Normal Day.. A Strong Reminder

I woke up this morning like any other morning. I got ready for work, walked to the train, boarded, rode it to downtown Brooklyn, got off and walked to the school that I work at. Today is like any other day. Right? Today is September 11th. Seven years ago today started off as any other day as well.

I didn't even remember it was September 11th when I woke up. I think it was while Chris and I were standing on the platform waiting for the train that he said "Oh, today is September 11th..." "oh yea.." I said "wow, I can't believe it's been seven years.." I have gone about my day not really thinking about it. I went out for lunch today and I looked around me at the other people sitting at tables, the people walking outside, chatting, eating.. like any other day.

I still remember where I was and what I was doing seven years ago this morning. I was a freshman in college- my roommate and I were in our 8am english class together (which by the way is entirely too early to have english class) when it was interrupted and we were told that a plane had just flew into a building in New York, that it was all over the news. Our prof. let us out and we went to watch the news on the tv in the student union- we were there to see the second plane crash into the South tower of the World Trade Center. I had just been in New York five or six weeks before that for BUMP. I remember kneeling down on the floor of the student union, watching the news coverage and crying.

The next summer we returned to NY for BUMP and visited Ground Zero... it looks so different now. I remember the wreckage, the letters and memorials to family and loved ones that were lost. I remember the somber feeling that hung in the air all around the site.. the faces of the people looking on. It was quiet. I remember standing there holding onto the fence with tears running down my face.

I don't know anyone who died on September 11th. I wasn't living in New York at the time. But does that mean it shouldn't effect me? That I shouldn't remember? If anything, it should be a strong reminder of God's faithfulness and the plan He has for us. I don't understand why God lets things like that happen. But I do know that He is Mighty and Powerful and that He is in control. Not one person who died that day was not loved by our Lord. Not one person who lost someone they cared about was forsaken by our Lord. He wants us all to come to Him and know is Love and Peace and Protection. When our lives are shaken by things we can't understand He is there for us to run to. I may not feel the same way today, September 11th, as I felt seven years ago today.. but I always want to remember, to know with confidence, Whose hands I am in.

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future'."

I am sure that tonight we will watch the news and see the different stories of the various memorial services in the area honoring those lost on September 11th. I know that I will be moved, that my heart will go out to the people I see who have lost someone..those people whose lives will forever be different, who will wake up next year and ten years from now and 20 years from now knowing what day it is. I know that I will feel so grateful for the things that God has given me, for Chris and my friends and family, that I have them with me. I know that I will pray for those people I see.. that God would draw them near to Himself, give them peace and comfort and that they would turn to Him with their brokenness and experience His healing.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

beautifully written J. Thanks for the reminder.