Friday, October 3, 2008

"There once was a girl, who had a curl....


...right in the middle of her forehead. 
And when she was good, she was very good.
And when she was bad, she was horrid."

My mom used to say that poem to me because I had curly hair. I mean, I HAVE curly hair. She also would tell me that if I ate the crusts of my sandwiches it would make my hair curly.. how does that work when you already have curly hair? When I got older I didn't want my curly hair, I wanted it to be straight. If it was straight it would be so much easier to manage. Then I discovered flat irons. Actually, my hair isn't as curly as it used to be. I had an unfortunate incident with a salon about a year and a half ago and came away with burnt hair. As in there were a few chunks that had actually burnt OFF. It was horrible. I will never get a cheap haircut again. "Why I spend $60.o0 on a haircut" could be a whole other post, but let me break it down for you: 
How many of you have spent $60.00, or more for that matter, on a piece of clothing? Or a pair of shoes? I'm sure most of us have. How often do you wear them? Once a week? Once every two weeks? Maybe you know where this is going..  How often do you wear your hair? EVERYDAY! I know there are some things where it doesn't matter if you buy the cheap, generic brand or if you buy the more expensive, popular label- you're getting the same thing. However, there are some things where if you buy the cheaper item, that's exactly what you get. Something cheap. The quality is cheap and it doesn't last. If you spent a little more money and got the better item, it is worth it because it lasts longer; it's better. If you were going to wear the same shirt every day for three months wouldn't you spend more money and get a good, quality shirt. A shirt that not only looks good but will last? Couldn't this be applied to your hair as well?
I have found this to be true with shoes. You can get a really cute pair of shoes at Payless or Target (especially us women). But in my experience with all the walking I do here in New York, a pair of heels from Payless will need to be repaired within a month or two. The little stopper thing at the base of the heel wears down with every step your foot takes on the sidewalk (and when I walk almost half a mile just to get to the train every morning, I need a good heel). To get this repaired at the shoemaker costs ten dollars. If the heels break twice that's costing me just about the same price as I paid for the shoes! However, my pair of Anne Klein shoes from DSW lasted almost 6 months before I had to replace the heel (and part of the reason was because the heel got caught in a crack that I stepped in so I had to pull it out.. ) Here are my heels from Payless. They look great... but the heels. I hate it when this happens. 



Anyway.. back to the hair. I don't know about you but I wear my hair everyday. In my experience, when I have paid less for a haircut it's not as good as when I pay more. Don't get me wrong- I love saving money, I love getting deals and finding great things on sale. But I also don't like going to get my hair cut and coming home my hair falling out when I run my fingers through it and finding chunks that are only 4 inches long. Or getting it cut and having the stylist ask me "who cut your hair last? It's crooked." Well Lady, hate to say it but the last time I had my hair cut was here. No no no..No more. I have found an Aveda salon here that I love as much as the one I went to back in MN (and I really loved this salon. I loved it so much that the first year I lived here I would wait to get my hair cut until I went back to MN for a visit). I finally found 'my' salon here, and even though it costs me $60.00 for a haircut- I trust my stylist, she knows me and my hair, and I know that my hair will look the way I want it to. 

When I started this post all I was going to write about was that I have embraced the side swoop bangs that are 'in' now and despite my curls, I have learned how to master them. And love them. 
Sorry about the rant. I couldn't stop. 
How do you feel about getting your hair cut? Anyone else sporting the side swoop bangs? Are there certain things that you spend more money on too? 



3 comments:

SnoWhite said...

i totally wait until i go back to MN to cut my hair... I'm going on nearly 1 year and it's getting long!!! i hear you on the curls too.

Jessica said...

AMEN to everything you have said. It's 100 percent worth it to me to spend 60 dollars on a hair cut at an Aveda salon and know that I"m going to be happy with it. Plus, it's just so relaxing at Aveda. They give you massages and all their products are plant based. Anyway..I tried the side swoop bangs and I decided I just dont have the patience for them. I"m trying to grow them out. Ugh. You pull them off quite nicely though. ;)

CrashleyRose said...

three cheers for curly haired girls!!!! p.s. my dad told me that if I ate my bread crusts, I would be able to whistle. I'm pretty sure it's the only lie he's ever told.