Sunday, September 19, 2010

FINALLY!

If any of you pay attention to my reading list on the side bar you will be happy to note that I have FINALLY moved on from Lolita. A book that has taken me over a year to finish. Yes. Over a year. I started it shortly before giving birth and since then have struggled to read it. Not struggled reading it, but wanting to read it. Not to say it is a bad book, some parts are beautifully written, the subject matter, however, is not what I would call 'desirable'. I knew a little of what I was getting into prior to starting the book having interpreted two english classes that had been required to read it, and seen clips of the film. Actually reading it is obviously different that simply being audience to discussion about it. I think it wouldn't have been as big of a deal if I didn't have a baby after starting it- reading the inner thoughts of a grown man and his feelings towards/actions with a twelve year old girl was not what I wanted to spend my time doing, especially having just become a mother. Not to mention the mere issue of having the time for myself to sit and read.
Others tried to persuade me to forget the book and just start another. This, I can not do. I don't like not finishing a book nor do I favor reading more than one book at a time. So.. a year has gone by and I finally trudged my way through the last 80 or so pages and now I am done.
done. done. done.
For those of you who want to read Lolita, or will eventually be reading it as you continue your own quest through The List, please don't let my own experience sway you or give you a bias. I am certain if I had started it earlier or waited I would not have taken so long to get through it. Sitting down at home to read a book just hasn't been one of my top priorities over the last year. I often read on the train going to and from work but work has been very part time since becoming a mother and when I first started up again I was too tired to read on the train anyway!
All this to say.. I have finished Lolita. Finally. :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Nice work J!

Jweaver said...

I knew you would be proud Jess :)

Anonymous said...

You are not a quitter! Good for you.