Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fishy smell and Jane Austin

I got off work early yesterday because the student in my last class of the day couldn't make it. (no complaint here) I had been planning on going to the gym on my way home from work but due to an unfortunate accident involving my left over lunch from last Friday- consisting of salmon and rice- being left in my gym bag over the weekend all my clothes smelled like fish. I noticed this as I was walking to the train yesterday morning with Chris. Something smelled weird when I picked up my bag on our way out the door but he said he didn't smell anything so I thought it was just me. As we were walking I could still smell it.. and when I heard the rustling of a paper bag as I walked I then remembered what I had left in my bag. I threw it out right away, but of course the smell remained. Later when I about to leave I checked my clothes again and decided that I would be too embarrassed to work out smelling like fish. So, I passed the gym and walked home.
I arrived home two hours earlier than I usually do and Chris wouldn't be home for another 2 1/2 hours. Should I take a nap? Read a book? OH! I remembered that last week we got 'Becoming Jane' from Netflix. This isn't a movie that my husband is interested in seeing so I decided to watch it. Oh goodness, it was SO GOOD! I wanted to read Pride and Prejudice right then and there. Which leads me to explain something. About a year and a half ago, maybe more, I joined my two best friends on a quest to read all the reccommended books on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. This is a big task, I realize, but it's pretty fun too. I have swayed from the list a few times and read something that wasn't on it, but for the most part I have been reading book after book from the list. And I have enjoyed all of them so far. I just started Beloved, by Toni Morrison a few days ago and because I don't like reading more than one book at a time I will wait until I am finished to start Pride and Prejudice, and I am really excited. Jessica has been in Jane Austin land for a while now and I have been encouraging her to break free and read Margaret Atwood (I highly reccommend The Handmaiden's Tale) but she is sticking with it. Now, I might just enter this romantic land too.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Beloved is SO good. I read it about a year ago. You will have to keep me updated about what you think. Her writing style took me a while to get used to, but then I loved it.

Jweaver said...

I Jazz about a year ago and really liked it. Her writing style is uniqe, it does take a while to get the flow but I liked Jazz and so far I like Beloved as well. Have you read Jazz? If no, let me know when you want it and I'll mail it to you.

Jweaver said...

*that should say "I read Jazz.."